October 19th, 2008
Perfume products are no doubt popular with drop ship affiliates And remember – the holiday season is coming and despite the crisis people will spend billions on gifts (though it is clear that shopping expenses will be cut in most families).
So, it looks like dropshipping fragrance/ perfume products is not a bad idea. – you need the product knowledge and reputable merchants dropshipping discount perfume – all this takes time so there are no chances to be properly prepared by this holiday season, but more holidays are coming…
We have not discussed in detail promotion techniques that our case study site owners apply, but you can read about that in the descriptions of the web projects for sale. I would just like to mention that from my own experience PPC (once worked great) gets more and more costly – especially AdWords You have to compete against top e-commerce brands and it is next to impossible to bid on keywords as much as those brands can afford.
And Google sets requirements so high that now you can’t just go and buy 10 000 keywords and be sure that they will drive you traffic at .10$ per visitor. Those times are gone…
For those interested in e-commerce topic, I would recommend checking e-commerce basics packed into one article It is not a tutorial or complete list of e-commerce promotion tools, but it is a good up-to-date primer to those who need the starting point.
Established Ecommerce Perfume Website
10K Revenue / Year – Established 2005
• URL: www.skinfragrance.com
• Established: Fri Nov 04 2005
• Uniques/Month: 2,200
• Page views/month: 7,000
• Monthly Revenue (USD): 300
• BIN: $10 100
Offered for sale for the first time is online retailer Skinfragrance.com. Skinfragrance is an online perfume/fragrance retailer. The site has been online for since Nov 2005, and with little promotion has done around 38K in sales over that period. (Read more in “Why am I selling” below) Skinfragrance.com targets the high end market of Perfume / Cologne. Site currently carries around 5000 to 8000 products at any given time.
We are ranked for numerous terms:
#6 Google – best selling perfume
#9 Google – best selling cologne
#9 Google – top selling cologne
Numerous other (higher traffic keywords) – a few pages deep. Skinfragrance.com can pass other sites fairly quickly based on Domain Age alone….combined with a few quality links.
• Domain Skinfragrance.com
• Current Customer List/Mailing List (Opt In)
• Web Design / Content
Why is Skinfragrance for sale?
I started this ecommerce site in Nov of 2005 with the intention of letting the domain age. Sales started coming in quickly and I did initial promotion (link building etc) Domain is still currently included in BOTW directory among others. I have since started many other projects and have a very demanding job within the Ecommerce industry. I do not have time to take Skinfragrance.com to the next level.
I simply have not had time to update products. I have had to cancel orders because of stock issues. New owner would need to put in the 15-30 minutes a day to update products.
Site is run on the Yahoo Store Merchant platform and has been since the beginning. I would expect the new owner be familiar with ecommerce sites, have some Excel Skills (loading csv imports) – some degree of programming would be great but not necessary. You will also need your own Merchant Account.
Products are drop shipped and no inventory is maintained. There is much room to grow profit margin simply by moving to a inventory & fulfillment model.
Unexploited revenue opportunities for this site include advertising of course, but also there exists a great customer interest in up to date information. Revenue can greatly be increased with simple link building, comparison engines, PPC, etc.
- I have briefly advertised with Nextag and Shopzilla and Yahoo Shopping. Good Results but I have not tracked well enough.
Generating around 10K plus a year in Revenues – Profit Margin ranges from 15% to 90% based on price of item. Most products are currently at about a 25% to 30% markup. Profit /month – Ranges from $120 to $400 (Potential is with Aged Domain) Traffic Details:
Traffic is generated via:
• Google Organic (Product Search) – I have problem with showing images in Product search and have not had time to fix. This along would probably double traffic from this source.
• Around 1500 – 3000 Uniques per/month – Dec much more – See Graphic
• Organic traffic via viral word of mouth on forums, etc
• Newsletters utilizing Opt-in subscription tool to capture browsers and push for increased conversion.
• Repeat Buyers
What would I do to take Skinfragrance to next Level?
• More Promotion (Via Link Building) – Would not take much – I was ranked for term “Discount Fragrances” after getting to links with correct anchor text.
• Automate Inventory – Take Supplier XML / CSV file and automate inventory levels. This takes a little programming knowledge or outsource the work.
• Start Stocking Products
• Better Analytics – Install Google Analytics with Revenue Tracking
• I have run a few campaigns over the years on Yahoo / Google but nothing more than a few hundred bucks.
• $39.95 Month Yahoo Store
• $19.95 Merchant Acct. / Month
GOOGLE 95% – NON PAID